3

Feb

by jwomack

Reading through all the information this week was starting to make my head hurt.  There are many rules and ways people can have license over information.  It makes you wonder how anyone could get something from the internet without violating some type of rule.  After thinking on the subject a bit I realized that this would be a great way to help our students learn to think creatively.  Dr. Coffman spoke of challenging our students to “go beyond the obvious” (Coffman p. 19, 2013).  Educating our students on thinking creatively when it comes to searching for usable content on the internet seems like a great way to impart this challenge.  We as teachers need to adhere to copyright laws because we are role models to our students.  Though at times it may not seem like our students care about anything we do, they are always watching.  If they see an example of someone who shows no respect to the laws set forth as it pertains to copyright what kind of example are we setting?  Especially with the crackdown in recent years of those who download music illegally it is important to educate the students on the correct way to go about such things.  Our goal is to create students who are going to think outside the box and be adventurous thinkers (Coffman p. 28, 2013).  This starts with our lessons and how we use technology.  Give the students a scavenger hunt to search for items on the internet that require certain licenses.  Just as we need to be able to creatively find usable videos, pictures, and text, our students will require the same skill as they grow older.  Being able to provide lessons that open up our students to creative thinking while improving their digital sense is a must.

It was interesting searching for the pictures that were posted on our blog.  I first tried using the Google advanced search but I felt as though I was still not finding images that were available for fair use.  I then attempted using Pics4Learning, and was very pleased to find an image quickly that could be used for school.  I was sure that I was finding a usable image because the description of the website speaks about all the images being donated by the photographers for use in education.  The website also does a great job of making citations for all their photos.  In today’s world it seems daunting to try to find information that can be used properly.  This week’s information provided great assets for future use in my classroom.  I look forward to combining technology and creativity to help create students with minds that are always looking to new possibilities.

Coffman, T. (2013). Using inquiry in the classroom: developing creative thinkers and information literate students. (2nd ed.). Lanham, Maryland: Rowman & Littlefield Education.

1. Kim on 02.03.2013

Hi Justin,
    I enjoyed reading this post. You are right…we are role models for our students in and out of the classroom. I really like your idea of the scavenger hunt because you are touching on several skills. In today’s society, technology plays such a strong part in driving student creativity and learning. This way, not only are they using search engines to research images, but they are also learning about the Copyright laws and image licenses. Pics4Learning is a great resource! Isn’t it refreshing to know that there are image search sites out there beyond GOOGLE!