This week’s reading was very interesting.  I find myself torn between two feelings.  I am a person who looks for innovative ways to better teach students.  I am not sure though that a flipped class is the way to go about it.  During the readings I felt like I did not like the idea and it was not until I read the article on critics that I decided to keep an open mind.

As a first year teacher I have experienced many situations I did not think I would experience.  As students we go into teaching believing that we are going to make a difference.  We know that we will not be like those terrible teachers we had in school.  Actually experiencing teaching has rocked my mindset and I am in a constant battle to stay committed.  The Education system we have is troubled to say the least.  My initial thought about the flip was that students in this day do not have to responsibility to handle something like this.  After reading Ms. Kirch’s article I realized I was letting the cynical attitudes that many of my colleagues have way on my judgment.  One of the main points Ms. Kirch talks about is most who frown upon flipping a class have not yet tried to do it.  With this thought in mind I decided to open up my mind as I continued to read through this new way of teaching.  In the end I feel that this type of teaching could lend itself well to certain age groups and subjects.  I also believe that there are some obstacles that stand to make this concept difficult for some school districts.

In the article it talks about reasons critics have against flipping a classroom.  The range from creating issues with technology access to only making the teaching about the videos (Kirch, 2012).  I believe this would be a difficult concept for elementary children and some middle school.  I think this idea is better suited for high school where students are more independent and have a wide knowledge of technology.  This is not to say that flipping a third grade class could not work.  I believe one could adapt the flipping to make it simpler for the younger groups.  I just believe it would be more beneficial to those students in high school.  I also think this would be a good thing to do for most core classes.  It gets the boring part out of the way so that the teacher can work hands on with their students on projects.  This also allows for more student collaboration in school where it is ok to make mistakes when they can be corrected.

My concerns for this idea involve all the standardized testing required by most states.  With the thought that students can work at their own pace I do not know how well this would work if they are struggling with a concept, but need to be further ahead covering more advanced concepts.  As things are now I know in my school we are very concerned with our timeline in math and making sure that we cover all the concepts necessary to prepare our students for the SOL.  My other concern is students being engaged enough to complete the lectures at home.  It is hard enough to get my students to do the homework on a regular basis and it’s hard to imagine them listening to lectures when they could be at the mall with friends.  Though they may be more motivated if they know they only have a 5-10 video on a concept to watch rather than 30-60 minutes of homework.  The idea overall seems promising, but I still have find myself concerned over how effective it would be.

Kirch, C. (2012, April 5). Critics of the flipped classroom. Retrieved from

http://flippingwithkirch.blogspot.com/2012/04/critics-of-flipped-classroom.html