15

Mar

by jwomack

The mini projects I learned about this week are technology gold.  As I moved from one project to the next they seemed to get better and better.  These types of projects are what keep students interested in learning.  I believe that it also allows our students to take ownership of their work and be more creative.  I really enjoyed Dr. Coffman writing about Tellecollaboration.  Being able to create information using the internet in a collaborative setting and then being able to collaborate with classrooms around the world is an amazing tool.  Using this new technology to keep our students focused on “big idea” questions is essential to strengthening their minds (Coffman p. 104, 2013).  I also like that with each project they lend themselves to different types of learners.  You have those students who are visual who can work with things like Wordle to help see a bigger picture.  For those students who are more auditory a teacher could record their lessons and make it available to that student to hear the information.  The projects also allow the students to work at their own pace and leave room for them to make mistakes.  Mistakes are sometimes more important to help students build the processes to maneuver what went wrong in order to fix the problem.  With all the projects I see opportunities to keep my students focused and caring about what they are learning.  I see a future classroom where I will not have to constantly ask a student to pay attention because their focus will be on the work through the interactive technology.

In my future classrooms I will definitely try to incorporate many of these tools to keep my students interested.  I work with students who have special needs and it is especially important to keep them focused.  Most of the time my students already want to be on the computer so using these projects would be a great advantage.  I also see these projects as a way for my students to experience a world outside of just their school or town.  My eventual goal would be for my students to put together some projects using these tools and creating a website for the class.  I would then love to be able to collaborate with another class somewhere in the world.  We could trade websites and learn about each other’s cultures.  My students see things differently and being able to present information in a picture where they can see main points could help them focus on what is really important.  Having lessons recorded so students can listen or watch while at home would be a great asset.  Many times I have students who say their parents do not know how to do their homework and that unfortunately is the case in some homes.  Being able to provide a tool for my students at home so they can still practice at home would change the way my students are able to learn.

Coffman, T. (2013). Using inquiry in the classroom: developing creative thinkers and information literate students. (2nd ed.). Lanham, Maryland: Rowman & Littlefield Education.